TOUCH Program

View Thread

Logging Required Community Service

• 1.  Logging Required Community Service

Posted 12-13-2017 14:15

Hello,

My name is Mitchell Sauder, the Vice President and TOUCH representative for the DO 2021 class of Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona. I see in the protocol for the TOUCH program, hours required by individual COMs can be logged after the initial 10 hours have been completed. For Western University of Health Sciences the required community service hours is 30 hours (with a specific community partner) prior to completing pre-clinical education. I have had questions on whether or not students would be able to log these required service hours as TOUCH hours once they surpass the listed 10 hours on the COSGP protocol or if they need to wait until the Universities 30 hours requirement is met prior to logging these hours towards TOUCH recognition.

Thank you for your time,
    Mitchell Sauder

------------------------------
    Mitchell Sauder

• 2.  RE: Logging Required Community Service

Posted 02-09-2018 09:22
    Hello Mitchell,

Due to the confusion from previous years and the lack of capable enforcement by school Touch Coordinators, COSGP has stricken the rule disqualifying hours required by the school from TOUCH eligibility as of this new cycle. This means that if hours are required by your school, they will also be eligible for TOUCH credit if they follow the rest of TOUCH criteria.

For example, if your COM/SOM requires that you spend X number of hours tutoring fellow medical students, then those hours would not be TOUCH eligible since tutoring medical students does not fulfill TOUCH criteria. However, if your COM/SOM required you to tutor local high school students, then those hours would be TOUCH eligible as it involves volunteer work in the outside community.

TOUCH Admin
    TOUCH Program Administrator